I realized quickly a number of things I had not really understood before. The D90, when I purchased it was an expensive camera, the high-end Nikon amateur camera. I struggled with the camera though, or maybe more I struggled with digital as it was quite different from film. Things I did before in film just did not seem to work in the same way with digital. I was learning, but it was a slow process.
Recognizing that I needed a runabout lens I purchased the 18-55mm stock lens. Not a bad lens to keep on the camera all the time, but definitely limiting. I was short a telephoto though and found the fact that I could not get up close to be a pain. In October 2010 I took a photograhy course. It was a good course, field-trip based and designed to explore more advanced ideas. For the course I purchased the Nikon 70-300mm lens. Its a great lens, well reviewed and included vibration-reduction (VR). This quickly became my lens to use. I was still wondering, however, if I had purchased the right camera. In November 2010 I decided to purchase the Nikon D700.
The D700 is a fabulous camera and I quickly could see and feel the difference. The controls were better laid out and its focus was different. I find that hard to explain, but pro-sumer cameras have a dual purpose, proving a platform for the novice and enough sophistication for the serious amateur, or the professional. Its a balance. The D700 was different and I can feel it. Its a heavy camera though.
Enjoying my D700 I decided to purchase the Nikon 105mm f2.8 1:1 macro lens. I already had the Tamron 90mm f2.8 1:1 macro, but I wanted the Nikon version which I had heard a lot about. The reviews were very good. This was April 2011.
In August 2011 I decided to purchase the Nikon 24-120 f4 lens as my runabout lens. I really like this lens, very sharp and with a good overall focal length. The constant f4 means I am not struggling with f5.6 or f6.3 when I am reaching.
And that is it, for the moment. I still have a 28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.8 lens, but I don't use them much preferring the 24-120mm. I have passed the D90 along to my daughter and with the purchase of the 55-300mm DX lens she now has a good working lens set.
I should mention, and anyone who knows the Nikon line would know, that the D700 is a full-sensor camera. I can really see the difference using this sensor over the D90's ASPC version. The colour and details with the larger sensor are obvious. Full sensor lenses and equipment are expensive, but I think worth it if you are serious about what you are doing.
I have wish lists, like most photographers. I would like a 300mm lens. That would allow me to reach and with the 1.4x teleconverter I would be operating as a 420mm. I would like Nikon to release a VR version of its 300mm f4 lens, but they have not done so yet. I think at this focal length the VR is invaluable.
I would also like the 14-24mm lens (f2.8)....
Oh well. I know that Nikon will release the D800 soon. It will be interesting what they do. Canon has gone the video route, all of their cameras have the capability of recording video. The D700 is the only Nikon without this capability (the D300s and D3s have it) so I would expect that the D800 will follow suite. I am not sure I will upgrade to the D800 when it comes out, leaving that for a while. I have nowhere reached the capabilities of the D700 so I will wait a while. The lure of a higher mp count and newer features is strong though...we will see if it is truly a better camera though. The D700 is considered one of the, if not the best full-sensor cameras on the market...comparable to the D3s...so hard to move.
Anyways...that is it.
No comments:
Post a Comment